Friday, December 25, 2009

An invitation to all foodies !!

Hi folks !

I have started this blog with the idea of sharing with all you foodies out there my experiences in the culinary world.

My maternal aunt played a large role in my upbringing. Having been an excellent cook herself she decided that my cousin and I who were living with her during breaks from school had to be proficient in the kitchen. The few times that we ventured into the kitchen with fancy recipe books were mostly ' disasters '.
So my aunt decided to take control of the situation. The first step she took was to send the household help on leave. All except the gardener Babulal ! It was this poor man who came to our rescue from many a disaster in the kitchen under threats of dire consequences, of course !!
In the end, after a bit of trial and error and a great deal of encouragement my aunt made sure that my cousin and I wouldn't starve ! We learnt to COOK.

After my initiation into the culinary world my interest in cooking grew. It helped that my family is totally food oriented.
With some success in the basics I ventured into trying out new cuisines, with great success!
So it goes on------

The first few recipes are amongst my favorites for the simple reason that they are uncomplicated and can be put together without any fanfare! Try them out and give me lots and lots of feedback please!!
Hopefully, this blog will grow with lots of inputs from all you guys who like to cook. Happy blogging !!

                                Afghani Chicken Korma












Boneless chicken cut into bite-sized pieces 600gms
The marinade
Onions              2 large
Ginger paste      1 heaped Tbs 
Garlic                1 heaped Tbs
Lime juice          2 -3 Tbs
Salt                    to taste




Coriander leaves            1 cupful, loosely packed,
Mint leaves                     1 cupful, loosely packed
Pepper powder               2 tsp
*Garam masala powder   ½ tsp
Fresh cream                    3/4  cup
Ghee (clarified butter)      1 Tbs


Method
Make a paste of all the marinade ingredients and marinate the chicken pieces in it overnight in the fridge.
Chop the coriander and mint leaves. Add to the marinating chicken along with the pepper powder, garam masala, fresh cream and ghee.
Cook covered in a heavy bottomed vessel, on a slow fire until tender.
Serve hot with rotis or a pulao.

*Garam masala powder
Equal quantities of cardamon, cinnamon and cloves dry roasted and ground into a fine powder.


Roti : Indian flat bread
Pulao : Flavoured rice.



                                             ______________________________________


                

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Chitra.
Atta Girl, way to go!!!
You should have done this, this, this .....years ago!! we need somebody like you to 'fine tune' us in the art of culinary skills!
Here's wishing you all the best in your latest endeavour! Very proud of you!
Shob

ramya said...

This is so exciting! Can't wait for more entries in your blog.

Jinny Barua said...

Hi Chits,
Congratulations and wish u all the best. Having had first hand experience of your culinary skills I am sure those who do wish to try your recipies will hunger for more. Happy eating all u foodies.
Jinny.

sheila barua said...

Hi Chitra
It's great to read your blog. Yummy recipes! Waiting for more. congratulations and all the best.
Sheila

Priya said...

I'm pretty much a novice at cooking and get things right mostly by fluke; the Afghan Chicken Korma recipe was one of the easiest I've ever seen for a 'foreign' dish and came out positively delectable. My beau was thrilled by it. Thank you for simplifying good cooking! Do post more recipes of this (easy) sort!

Cooking my way said...

Priya,
Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad you liked the recipe. That was most encouraging! More easy recipes on the way ma'am!

Rajiv said...

I am a complete culinary ignoramus. Wanting to impress my wife, I tried my hand at your Afghani Chicken Korma. All of us were delighted beyond our wildest expectations and my lovely wife was suitably impressed! All I did was to follow your recipe faithfully. I am a fan for as long as I live! Thanks and keep up the good work.

Cooking my way said...

Rajiv,
Thank you!! I will now have to work doubly hard to live up to your expectations.

Uma said...

Hi chitra aunty,
this looks amazing... will try it out this weekend... anychance there is a substitute for the fresh cream...
ooooooo and can you put up the recipe for the yummy fish curry you made when i was there...

Cooking my way said...

Uma,
You will be hearing from me soooooon!

Anonymous said...

hello,

My mother,geetha kumar, had sent me your link and the afghan chicken was superb!-I ahve always been a little afraid to try things but this makes it really fun!
all the best,
anuradha

Cooking my way said...

Thank you Anuradha! Glad to have your feedback.

Anonymous said...

Chitra Afghan chicken was great like all your other recipes
Geetha Kumar

Anonymous said...

The chicken was very good, like all your other receipies ...keep it up chitra

Geetha Kumar

Cooking my way said...

Thankyou Geetha.
Always glad to hear from you.

Sudhir Puri said...

Chitra ji:
Finally got around to the Spinach and Paneer recipe yesterday because we had 5 friends over for dinner. They loved it, and I must say this is the best spinach we've had in San Francisco, thanks to your wonderfully listed ingredients and step by step instructions. I tried your recipe once before and was not very successful because I didn't follow the recipe very closely (I thought I could wing it!). Your suggestion to soak the cubed paneer in haldi water is a masterful one. This time I also added some salt to the haldi water. By the way, I made the paneer from scratch. I must stress that it is essential to purée the spinach or you will not get the desired result. I would appreciate your including a recipe for making paneer yourself at home. I'm sure your recipe is better that what I have used.

Thank you, and keep up the good work of keeping us supplied with a taste of your cooking via remote control! Am looking forward to trying your other recipes as well to keep my wife Emilia and our friends happy.